Carine Consulting was formed by Andrew Trost in 2012 to provide project solutions and complete project management from inception to completion. Mr. Trost has spent almost 30 years in all facets of the industry, as a subcontractor, design consultant, general contractor and project/construction manager. Mr. Trost’s varied background and his experience with developing project teams was an excellent foundation upon which to build a best-in-class project management firm.
Our fundamental objective: always focus on the client’s project challenges and key project objectives. Carine continues to deliver successful projects and to build its reputation for adding value.
Meet The Team
Carine Consulting provides comprehensive project and construction management services using practical experience and a team of solutions-driven professionals who exceed client expectations.
- Amway / Nutrilite
- Arch Health Partners
- Art Center College of Design
- Atlantic Aviation
- Bacara Resort & Spa
- Beverly Hilton Hotel
- California State University
- Chevron Energy Solutions
- Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Cipriani Hotels
- Coast Community College
- Dow Chemical
- Embassy Suites Hotels
- Fox Entertainment Group
- Kaiser Permanente
- Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic
- Marriott Hotels
- McDonnell Douglas
- Newport Orthopedic Institute
- Occidental Petroleum
- Orange County Register
- Saint John's Health Center
- Sony Pictures Entertainment
- Suiza Foods
- TABC, Inc.
- Tecstar Applied Solar
- Tosco Refining
- University of Southern CA
- USS Posco
- The Walt Disney Co.
Andrew Trost, P.E.
Andrew Trost brings over 28 years of planning, design and construction experience to project teams. Mr. Trost provides solutions-driven, turn-key Project Management services to an extensive list of industries and clients. Mr. Trost has perfected his project and construction management methods in his roles as a project manager, general contractor, design consultant and subcontractor, allowing him to effectively administer the entire delivery process. He has managed multidiscipline design teams, design/build contract teams and long-term site programs with continued success.
In 2012 Mr. Trost co-founded Carine Consulting, LLC with partners to provide comprehensive project and construction management services in both public and private market sectors. The Carine Team is comprised of professionals like Mr. Trost who implement practical construction experience to deliver client solutions that exceed expectations.
Mr. Trost spent 6 years with The RMS Group, Inc., a general contractor specializing in negotiated, turn-key project delivery. He played a key role in building the company from $10 million in revenues to a $65 million full-service general contractor by 2008. Mr. Trost began as a Senior Project Manager, and held the position of Chief Operating Officer for 3 years.
In the 4 years prior to joining RMS, Mr. Trost was Vice President of Preconstruction at SASCO Electric, a large design/build electrical contractor. Mr. Trost joined SASCO after 6 successful years with The Bentley Company and Enron Energy Services (EES). With Bentley, he held roles as Discipline Manager and Manager of A&E Services in Southern California. Mr. Trost was instrumental in furthering Bentley’s success on long-term contracts with McDonnell Douglas, Boeing, Dow Chemical, JPL and others. During EES ownership of the firm, Mr. Trost delivered successful multi-site programs for USC and Suiza Foods.
REPRESENTATIVE PROJECT EXPERIENCE
- Affiliate ASC Assessments, Southern California: Mr. Trost is leading the project team tasked with developing templates and standard procedures for performing accreditation-required facility assessments at existing ambulatory surgery centers. The program includes updating facility record drawings, developing statement of condition drawings to support inspections, identifying required improvements/corrections and developing plans for implantation. The templates prepared under this effort will be used for due diligence studies to support future acquisitions.
- Mr. C Hotel - Beverly Hills, CA: As Design-Build general contractor and Principal-In-Charge, Mr. Trost was responsible for all phasing, design, permitting, construction and coordination of owner-direct vendors. This is the first location for new hotel/restaurant brand roll-out for Cipriani Hotels. The project included extensive renovations of 12-story structure, all new finishes, central plant, MEP infrastructure and public alley replacement. The hotel includes a 138-key boutique guest room/suite facility, featuring the new Mr. C Restaurant, lobby/lounge, new gardens, pool deck, banquet hall, 3 kitchens and 2 bars. The on-site construction management team of up to six full-time staff handled numerous unforeseen conditions on this challenging renovation project. Construction was completed in 10 months and on time for the grand opening in 2011.
- Puma Distribution Center, Torrance, CA: As Senior Design Project Manager for a new automated robotic storage and retrieval system, Mr. Trost was responsible for design, permitting and construction management of the facilities upgrades required for the new AutoStore system installation. Under the direction of Mr. Trost, the team successfully negotiated with City Fire and Building Departments for approval and permitting of the unique system, including an Alternative Design package for the tunnel fire protection. Mr. Trost provided constructability solutions to integrate structural and fire protection systems with AutoStore system: 150 CY leveling slab, operator tunnel, perimeter steel system for seismic support, service mezzanines and building and site ADA upgrades. Tight construction tolerances were critical to ensure the robotic system could function as designed and meet code requirements. Total project value: $20MM.
- Amway/Nutrilite, Lakeview, CA: Senior Project Manager for design and construction of five production modification projects for nutritional supplement manufacturer. Projects included product conveyors, loaders, alcohol mixing tanks, hoppers and support platforms in multiple buildings. Mr. Trost managed complete design and on-site coordination with contractors and Owner’s representatives.
- Surgery Center of the Pacific – New Procedure Room: Senior Project Manager for the design and construction of the conversion of two (2) small procedure rooms into a single large procedure room to accommodate pain management cases at an existing ambulatory surgery center. The project was designed and permitted in compliance with California OSHPD-3 requirements. Mr. Trost managed all project phases, including design team selection, detailed design, permitting, vendor coordination, contractor RFP and bidding, and construction management. Project value: $250K.
- Tesla-New Automated Paint Shop, Fremont, CA: Fire Protection Engineering and Design. Lead fire protection engineer for an Alternative Design of custom water mist fire suppression system to protect electrostatic precipitators. Mr. Trost performed data research, developed concept design, prepared Alternative Design proposal to City of Fremont, approval coordination and construction support.
- Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic: Senior Project Manager for multi-phased program that includes consolidation and tenant improvement projects driven by a 10-year lease renewal in the 5-story, 90,000 square foot main facility. The facility includes a 54-exam room clinic, 4-OR outpatient surgery center, diagnostics and administration spaces.
- Newport Orthopedic Institute (NOI): Senior Project Manager for design, permitting and construction of new 44,000 square foot orthopedic medical offices and outpatient surgery center, featuring four state-of-the art operating rooms, pre-op and post-op patient areas and complete sterilization facility. The center also housed a Class A conference center which was integrated with the operating rooms. The medical office facility includes 35 exam rooms, two GE X-Ray suites, a GE MRI suite and a PT center.
- UCI Medical Center: Provided electrical pre-construction services for the new $300 million ground-up Douglas Hospital. Project was delivered using a modified design/build delivery method in a public contract environment. The team was responsible for the design and construction of all electrical systems including building and site electrical service & distribution, power, lighting, emergency systems and all low voltage systems required in this state-of-the-art OSHPD facility. We participated in 9 months of MEP design coordination, budgeting and value-engineering efforts.
- USC Master Energy Program: This master program involved planning, design and construction at the University Park and Health Sciences Campuses. Projects included two new central plants, campus-wide chilled water distribution, building HVAC & lighting upgrades over a 2-year period at both campuses. The projects met USC’s new energy standards and were integrated with their new state-of-the-art automation and management system.
- Mercury Air Centers, Santa Barbara Airport: Construction of a new fixed base operation (FBO) terminal at Santa Barbara, California municipal airport. Project included new terminal building, new parking lot and complete aircraft ramp expansion on 4 acre site.
REGISTRATIONS & AFFILIATIONS
- Professional Engineer, Fire Protection, California, FP-1389.
- Professional Affiliations: PMI, CMAA, SFPE, NFPA, AIA
- Bachelor of Science, Chemistry / Materials Science, UCLA 1986
- Certificate, Fire Protection, University of California, Irvine, 1994
- Brookfield Properties
- Buffalo Wild Wings
- Burns & McDonnell
- Charming Shops
- DriveTime Automotive Group
- Florsheim Shoes
- Insight Investments, LLC
- Integrys Energy Group
- Manpower Group
- NEC Corporation of America
- NEC Financial Services
- Perkin Elmer
- Wingfoot (Goodyear) Commercial Tire & Services Centers
Dave Challis brings over 30 years of planning, accounting and problem solving experience to project teams. Mr Challis is providing budgeting, cost tracking and control, design team, vendor and contractor coordination, and schedule management to various projects. He is using his engineer’s eye to find issues in various areas before they become problems.
Mr. Challis has had a varied career. He has provided assorted process improvements at AT&T while working within the electronic plating and semiconductor manufacturing. He was the Senior Process Integration Engineer at Intel for a start-up of a new semiconductor cleanroom facility, involved with process testing and statistical certification procedures. He has provided procedural improvements and on time delivery in accounting and property tax for clients in a variety of industries, retail, construction, equipment leasing, route sales, insurance.
REPRESENTATIVE PROJECT EXPERIENCE
- SCAN Health Plan, Long Beach, CA: Project Coordinator providing complete project management services and long range project visioning for the relocation over 40,000 USF of administrative offices at their office complex in Long Beach. Project management responsibilities include schedule and budget management, coordination of contractors and vendors, and construction management.
- LAWA Relocation, Los Angeles, CA: Assistant Project Manager providing complete project management services for the relocation of approximately 80,000 USF of administrative offices on‐site at LAX to locations off‐site to make way for the automated people mover project. The relocation impacts multiple LAWA divisions, including its existing 100 fixed-seat board room. Responsibilities include design team management, overall project management and coordination of contractors and vendors, and construction management of the multiphase program. Expected completion is December 2017.
- Sovereign Healthcare: Provide on‐going project and construction management services at multiple facilities including Kerlan‐Jobe Surgery Center, Surgery Center of the Pacific. Projects include electrical system upgrades, tenant improvements, finishes replacements, water treatment upgrades and equipment replacement/upgrades. Responsivities include project design, equipment selection and purchase, coordination of vendors and contractors, construction management.
- Puma Distribution Facility, Torrance, CA: Project Coordinator providing construction management services and design project management for a new automated robotic storage and retrieval system. Project includes a new 150 CY leveling slab, operator tunnel, perimeter steel system for seismic support, service mezzanines, building and site ADA upgrades, and an Alternative Design package for the tunnel fire protection.
- Intel Fabrication 9.1 Facility, Rio Rancho, NM: Senior Process Engineer for the planarization and metallization steps at the start-up semiconductor cleanroom facility. Responsibilities included design, planning and executing of the process testing and statistical certification of the individual fabrication processes and entire fabrication process.
Note: Some projects are representative of those completed by Mr. Challis while at previous firms.
- Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, 1980
Professional Accreditations & Awards
California Professional Engineer, Fire Protection
Member, Construction Management Association of America (CMAA)
Member, National Fire Protection Assn.
Member, Project Management Institute (PMI)
2006 LABC Architectural Awards for Community Impact and Sustainability, Ashes & Snow Nomadic Museum
NAMP Certified Mold Inspector and Remediator
Member, National Institute of Mold Professionals (NAMP)
Member, Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce
2009 and 2010 LABC Architectural Award winner in Sustainability for both Concept and Completed Project - Camp Emerald Bay – Boy Scout Eco Cabin
Licensed General Contractor, California